I’m always on the lookout for ways to make family time special, so when my aunt suggested we make Cannoli for dessert, I was thrilled! We spent the day in the kitchen, laughing, talking, and of course, eating. After a few attempts, we finally created the perfect Cannoli. It’s creamy, sweet, and full of flavor. I’m sure your family will love this recipe as much as mine does!
Making Cannoli is a fun and easy process, and you don’t need to be a pastry chef to make them. The shells can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use them. You can also get creative with the filling and add your favorite ingredients like chocolate chips or chopped nuts. So, let’s get started and make some Deliciously Creamy Italian Cannoli!
Tip: If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can use a plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Variation: You can also fill the Cannoli with whipped cream, or add chopped nuts or dried fruit to the filling.
Deliciously Creamy Italian Cannoli
- Mixing bowl, whisk, pastry bag with a star-shaped tip, cooling racks, parchment paper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- null Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 0.25 cup marsala wine
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups ricotta cheese
- 0.5 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter, egg, and Marsala wine and stir until the dough is combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is 1/8-inch thick. Cut into 4-inch circles using a biscuit cutter or a sharp knife.
- Wrap the circles around a cannoli tube and brush with egg whites to help seal the edges. Place the tubes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the tubes from the Cannoli shells.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and ricotta cheese until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon and stir until combined.
- Transfer the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a star-shaped tip. Pipe the filling into the Cannoli shells and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.