Growing up in a large Italian family, I’ve always been surrounded by a love of food. My earliest memories are of my grandmother teaching me how to make her classic Italian apple fritter bread recipe. Every time I make it, I’m reminded of my time spent with her in the kitchen. Her version of the recipe is always the best, but I’ve come up with my own spin on it that I’m excited to share with you!
This Italian apple fritter bread is the perfect combination of sweet and savory. The caramelized apples on top give it a hint of tartness that goes perfectly with the soft, doughy middle. It’s the perfect treat for any occasion and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends. And if you’re looking for something a little different, try adding raisins or nuts to the dough for an extra flavor boost!
So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking this classic Italian apple fritter bread recipe!
- For an extra flavor boost, try adding raisins or nuts to the dough.
- If you don’t have Greek yogurt, you can use plain yogurt or sour cream instead.
- For a sweeter bread, increase the amount of sugar.
Classic Italian Apple Fritter Bread
- Bowl, whisk, loaf pan, parchment paper, pastry brush
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.25 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 cup vegetable oil
- 0.5 cup applesauce
- 0.5 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 cup diced apples
- 0.25 cup brown sugar
- 0.25 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oil, applesauce, yogurt, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the diced apples.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the brown sugar and walnuts (if using) over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.