When I was growing up, my family always looked forward to the weekend when my mom would make her classic Mexican chicken enchiladas. We would gather around the table and enjoy this delicious dish of tender chicken, flavorful sauce, and melted cheese. I still make this recipe for my own family and it always brings back fond memories. It’s one of my favorite easy dinner recipes that everyone loves!
This classic Mexican chicken enchilada recipe is easy to make and you can customize it to your own taste. For extra flavor, add your favorite toppings like guacamole, sour cream, or diced tomatoes. It’s the perfect meal for a busy weeknight and can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Give this family favorite a try tonight and you won’t be disappointed!
Variations: For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with black beans or your favorite vegetables like mushrooms and bell peppers.
Tips: To keep the tortillas from breaking, warm them up in the microwave for 30 seconds before filling and rolling them.
Classic Mexican Chicken Enchiladas
- Large skillet, baking dish, cutting board, knife, spatula, mixing bowl, whisk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 10 6-inch corn tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and salt. Add the chicken and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the enchilada sauce and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the center of each tortilla and top with cheese. Roll up the tortillas and place seam-side down in a greased baking dish.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle with additional cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.