When I was growing up, my family used to have a special Sunday morning routine. We’d all get up early, make breakfast together, and then spend the morning enjoying it together. I especially loved when my dad would make this comforting French toast. It was always such a treat!
This French toast is spiced with cinnamon and topped with sweet apple slices for a delicious combination of flavors. It’s the perfect way to start your day, or even as a special dessert. Plus, it’s so easy to make that even the kids can help out!
I’m so happy to share this recipe with you, and I hope it becomes a favorite in your family, just like it is in mine.
Tip 1: If you’re looking for a sweeter French toast, use a sweeter variety of bread like challah or brioche.
Tip 2: For a crunchier texture, dip the bread slices in the egg mixture and then press them into a plate of crushed cornflakes before cooking.
Tip 3: For a healthier version, use whole grain bread and substitute the melted butter with olive oil.
Variation 1: For a more refreshing flavor, replace the apples with fresh berries.
Variation 2: For a more indulgent version, top with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Comforting Apple Cinnamon French Toast
- large skillet, mixing bowl, whisk, spatula
- 4 slices of white bread
- 2 eggs
- 0.25 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon nutmeg
- 0.25 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 0.25 cup melted butter
- 2 apples, sliced thin
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, and sugar until combined.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides. Place the slices in the skillet and cook until golden brown, flipping once.
- Remove the French toast from the skillet and top each slice with a few slices of apple. Serve warm and enjoy!