As a kid, I remember my family always making cannoli around Easter and Christmas. It was always a special treat, and we would all gather around the kitchen table and sample the delicious Italian dessert together. We would even take turns trying to guess the secret ingredients and techniques my mother used to make them so perfect. Now that I’m older, I’ve been able to recreate my mother’s recipe for cannoli with a few of my own twists, like adding chocolate chips to the filling and coating the edges with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
This recipe for Italian cannoli is creamy, delicious, and the perfect treat for any special occasion. The filling is a combination of ricotta and mascarpone cheese, sweetened with a bit of sugar and flavored with a hint of orange zest. The chocolate chips add an extra layer of sweetness that takes it to the next level. And the crunchy pastry shells are the perfect vessel for this flavorful cream filling.
So if you’re looking for a delicious Italian dessert to share with your family and friends, this cannoli recipe is a must-have. It’s sure to bring smiles to your table!
- Use high-quality ricotta and mascarpone cheese for the best flavor.
- If you don’t have cannoli molds, you can use cookie cutters to make the shells.
- For an extra burst of flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract to the cream filling.
- If you’re feeling adventurous, use different types of chocolate chips, such as dark or white.
- For a sweeter filling, add an extra tablespoon of sugar.
- For a spicier flavor, add 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger to the cream filling.
Deliciously Creamy Italian Cannoli
- Mixing bowl, whisk, pastry bag or syringe, cannoli molds or cookie cutters
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 0.25 cup sugar
- null Zest of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.5 cup mini chocolate chips
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.75 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- null Vegetable oil, for frying
- 0.25 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, mascarpone cheese, sugar, orange zest, vanilla extract, chocolate chips, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix until ingredients are well combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, melted butter, egg yolk, and white sugar until a dough forms.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/4-inch thick and cut into 3-inch circles using a cookie cutter or cannoli molds.
- Wrap the dough circles around the cannoli molds, overlapping the edges and pressing to seal. Heat the oil in a large saucepan to 375°F.
- Carefully add the cannoli molds to the hot oil and fry for about 1 minute, or until golden brown. Carefully remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of cold water with 1 teaspoon of sugar to make a glaze. Brush the glaze onto the cannoli shells and allow to cool.
- Spoon the cream filling into a pastry bag or syringe and pipe into the cannoli shells. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.