Growing up in a large family, I know all about trying to whip up a delicious dinner that will please every palate. My Indian Chicken Curry is a great way to do just that! It’s full of flavor, and the spiciness can easily be adjusted to suit everyone’s tastes. I love to serve it with fragrant basmati rice and a side of crunchy naan bread.
I love the added depth of flavor that comes from using a variety of spices in this dish. I usually use a combination of garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili powder. You can adjust the amount of each spice to make it as mild or as spicy as you like. I always add a sprinkle of freshly chopped cilantro to the dish for an extra burst of flavor!
My family loves this dish and I often make it for special occasions. It’s a great way to bring everyone together and enjoy a meal together. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
For a milder version, reduce the amount of chili powder in the recipe.
For a spicier version, add more chili powder to the recipe.
For a vegetarian version, substitute the chicken for 2 cups of cubed tofu.
For a vegan version, use vegan yogurt and cream in place of the dairy.
Deliciously Spiced Indian Chicken Curry
- Large pot or Dutch oven, cutting board, knife, measuring spoons, wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, garam masala, turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.