Growing up, I always looked forward to the special occasions when we’d have Chinese-inspired desserts like this Apple Rose Tart. I remember the smell of cinnamon and apples in the air and the excitement of everyone in the family as we gathered around the kitchen table to enjoy the sweetness.
My mom would make this tart for birthdays and other special occasions, and I’ve been making it myself ever since. It’s a delicious and unique dessert that is just as fun to make as it is to eat.
This tart is made with an easy-to-make pastry dough and filled with a sweet apple mixture. The pastry is then rolled up and arranged in the tart pan to create a beautiful rose design. It’s then baked until golden and served warm with a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
This Apple Rose Tart is the perfect dessert for any special occasion. It’s a delicious and unique way to make your family gathering even more special. Give this tart a try and see why it’s been a staple in our family for years!
For a different twist, try adding some dried cranberries or raisins to the apple filling. You can also try different spices, like nutmeg or ginger, for a different flavor.
For a healthier version, substitute the butter for coconut oil and the granulated sugar for coconut sugar.
For a vegan version, substitute the butter for vegan butter and the egg for a flax egg.
Easy Chinese Apple Rose Tart
- 9-inch tart pan, rolling pin, baking sheet, mixing bowl, whisk, spatula
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 cup cold butter
- 0.25 cup cold water
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 0.25 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 cup butter, melted
- 0.25 cup granulated sugar
- null Powdered sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch tart pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cold water and mix just until incorporated.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and press into the tart pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread the mixture over the dough in the tart pan.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Arrange the strips in a rose pattern over the top of the tart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool before serving.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.