I love making Chinese food at home. Growing up, my mom often made Chinese sesame noodle salad for special occasions. I remember how much I loved it, so I decided to recreate the recipe with a few of my own tweaks. This easy Chinese sesame noodle salad is perfect for a summer lunch or dinner – it’s light and flavorful, and the sesame sauce is the star!
I started by cooking the noodles. Then, I combined a few pantry staples to make the delicious sesame sauce. I like to add a bit of sweetness with honey, and a little kick with some red pepper flakes. Once the noodles and sauce are cooked, I mix it all together. Then, I top the salad with sesame seeds, green onions, and more red pepper flakes. If you like your food with a bit more heat, you can add extra red pepper flakes!
My family loves this easy Chinese sesame noodle salad. It’s perfect for a summer lunch or dinner. It’s also great for potlucks and parties because you can make it ahead of time and just pull it out when you’re ready to serve. Give it a try – I’m sure your family will love it too!
- If you’re short on time, you can use pre-made sesame sauce or dressing.
- You can add extra vegetables to the salad, such as bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli.
- For a vegan version, use vegan soy sauce and honey.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free noodles and soy sauce.
- For a spicier version, add extra red pepper flakes.
- For a sweeter version, add extra honey.
- For a nuttier version, add some chopped peanuts.
- For a crunchier version, add some chopped almonds.
Easy Chinese Sesame Noodle Salad
- Large pot, colander, cutting board, knife, mixing bowl, whisk
- 1 lb. thin Chinese egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 0.5 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, plus more for topping
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, plus more for topping
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Drain the noodles in a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the noodles to the bowl and toss to combine. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve the salad topped with additional sesame seeds, green onions, and red pepper flakes.