I love experimenting with new flavors and ingredients in the kitchen, and this Easy Mexican Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Olives is one of my favorite recipes!
My mom used to make this dish when I was a kid, and it was one of my favorite meals growing up. I love the combination of smoky grilled eggplant, salty feta, and tangy olives. It’s a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies, too!
This dish is easy to make and a great way to use up any leftover eggplant you have in the fridge. I always make sure to use a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and freshly-cracked black pepper for the best flavor. I also like to sprinkle a bit of fresh oregano or basil on top for an extra burst of flavor. Serve with some crusty bread and a side salad, and you’ve got a delicious meal!
- Make it vegan: Substitute the feta cheese with vegan cheese and the olives with capers.
- Spice it up: Add some red pepper flakes or a sprinkle of smoked paprika for a bit of heat.
- Switch up the herbs: Try substituting the oregano or basil with rosemary or thyme.
Easy Mexican Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Olives
- Grill, baking sheet, cutting board, knife, mixing bowl
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- 0.5 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 0.25 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 0.25 cup sliced olives
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano or basil (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the eggplant on the preheated grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side, or until tender.
- Remove from grill and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and olives over the eggplant slices.
- Return to the grill and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with oregano or basil, if using.
- Serve immediately.