When I was a child, my mother used to make mac and cheese for us every Sunday. It was our family’s comfort food, and I still make it to this day. I’ve taken that classic recipe and added a few twists to create this Expert-approved Comforting American Mac and Cheese, which I’m sure your family will love.
The secret to this delicious mac and cheese is the blend of cheeses. I use a combination of sharp cheddar, creamy Monterey Jack, and nutty Gruyere. This combination creates an irresistible flavor and creamy texture that you won’t be able to resist.
I also like to add a touch of heat with a pinch of cayenne pepper. It adds just the right amount of spice to the dish without being too overpowering. Plus, it’s a great way to add a little bit of nutrition to an otherwise indulgent dish.
The other key to this recipe is the toasted panko and Parmesan topping. It adds a nice crunch and an extra layer of flavor to the mac and cheese.
This Expert-approved Comforting American Mac and Cheese is the perfect dish to make for a family dinner or a special occasion. It’s sure to be a hit with everyone!
- If you don’t have Gruyere cheese, you can substitute Swiss cheese instead.
- If you want to add more heat, you can use a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- For a different flavor, you can use a mix of your favorite cheeses.
- For a vegetarian version, you can use vegetable broth instead of milk.
- For a gluten-free version, you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs instead of panko.
Expert-approved Comforting American Mac and Cheese
- Large pot, 8×8 baking dish
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 0.5 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 0.25 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- 0.5 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 0.25 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour and garlic powder, and stir until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Add the cheddar, Monterey Jack, Gruyere, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the cooked macaroni and stir until everything is combined.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into an 8×8 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle the mixture over the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the sauce is bubbly.