This recipe was inspired by my recent travels to Mexico, where I experienced some of the most flavorful dishes. I wanted to bring some of that flavor to my dinner table, so I created this Gourmet One-Pot Chicken and Rice dish.
This dish is a great way to use up some of the ingredients you have on hand. The combination of the flavorful spices, succulent chicken, and tender rice make this dish a hit with my family.
To add some extra flavor to this dish, add a diced jalapeno pepper or a can of diced tomatoes. You can also substitute the chicken with beef, pork, or shrimp. For a vegetarian option, you can use vegetable broth and omit the chicken.
For a spicier version, add some cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. To make it milder, omit the jalapeno pepper or use milder chili powder.
If you don’t have long-grain white rice, you can use basmati or jasmine rice.
Gourmet One-Pot Chicken and Rice
- Large pot, cutting board, knife, measuring spoons, wooden spoon, and stirring spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 0.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, coriander, paprika, oregano, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and serve.