As the cooler months approach, there’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of hearty soup. My roasted butternut squash soup is the perfect way to warm up, and it’s full of delicious flavors. I created this recipe when I was looking for a way to make the most of fall’s harvest bounty, and I’m so happy with the results! I love to enjoy this soup with a slice of crusty bread and a glass of wine.
This roasted butternut squash soup is easy to make, but be sure to give yourself time to properly roast the squash. The roasting process brings out the sweet, nutty flavor of the squash and gives the soup a beautiful golden color. The addition of nutmeg and cinnamon give this soup a hint of warmth, while the parsley and thyme add freshness. You can adjust the spices to your taste, but I like to keep it simple and let the flavor of the squash shine through.
For a richer, creamier soup, you can add a cup of coconut milk or heavy cream. You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a bit of heat. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth.
For an even heartier soup, you can add cooked rice or quinoa. You can also use a variety of squash, such as acorn or kabocha.
Gourmet Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Cutting board, large pot, blender, measuring cups and spoons, large spoon
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.25 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread the butternut squash cubes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper. Toss to coat and spread into an even layer. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until the squash is tender and golden brown.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted butternut squash, vegetable broth, parsley, and thyme. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup in batches to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve warm with your favorite toppings.