I love nothing more than a good Italian dinner. This skillet chicken with tomatoes is one of my family’s favorite recipes and it’s so easy to make – it only requires a few simple ingredients and a cast iron skillet! We usually make it on Saturdays after a long week when everyone is tired and in need of a comforting meal. The combination of seared chicken, sweet tomatoes, and fragrant herbs is absolutely delicious. I love how the flavors all come together in the skillet, creating an amazing sauce that is perfect for spooning over some of our favorite sides.
I first discovered this recipe when I was visiting my aunt in Rome. She used to make the best Italian food and this was one of her specialties. I remember watching her in the kitchen, watching her mix together the ingredients and then letting them simmer in the skillet. I was so impressed with how quickly and easily she was able to make something so delicious!
Once I got back home, I couldn’t wait to recreate this Italian skillet chicken dish with my family. I made a few tweaks to the original recipe with the addition of onions, garlic, and fresh herbs. The combination of flavors was absolutely delicious and now it’s one of our favorite dinners!
- If you don’t have canned tomatoes, you can also use fresh tomatoes.
- For a spicier version, add more red pepper flakes.
- For a creamier version, stir in a few tablespoons of cream or yogurt at the end.
- Substitute chicken with shrimp or pork.
- Swap out tomatoes for mushrooms or bell peppers.
- Add a few tablespoons of your favorite grated cheese at the end.
Healthy Italian Skillet Chicken with Tomatoes
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken cubes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Serve the skillet chicken with tomatoes over your favorite sides.