Homemade Mediterranean Lentil Soup is the perfect meal for busy weeknights or weekend family dinners. I’ve been making this soup for years and it’s always a hit. Whenever I make it, I think of my grandmother who used to make this delicious soup every Sunday. This is a great recipe to make in large batches and freeze for later. It’s also a great way to use up any leftover vegetables you may have in the refrigerator.
The key to this soup is the combination of herbs and spices. I like to use a mix of fresh herbs like parsley, oregano, and thyme. I also like to add some chili flakes for a bit of heat. I like to finish it off with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice for a bright, acidic note.
This soup is so easy to make and comes together quickly. I like to start by sautéing the vegetables in some olive oil until they are tender. Then I add the herbs and spices and the lentils. Finally, I add the broth and let it simmer until the lentils are tender.
My family loves this soup and I’m sure yours will too. Try it out and let me know what you think!
Variations: Add a can of diced tomatoes for extra flavor. For a heartier soup, add a can of drained and rinsed white beans.
Tips: Make sure to rinse the lentils before adding them to the soup. If you are using canned beans, make sure to rinse them as well.
Homemade Mediterranean Lentil Soup
- Large pot, cutting board, knife, measuring cups and spoons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 0.5 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- null Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the oregano, thyme and chili flakes and stir to combine. Add the lentils and stir to combine. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve the soup with wedges of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.