I feel like I have been waiting for spring all winter long, and the arrival of this season brings with it a host of new flavors to try. One of my favorite recipes is this scrumptious Japanese Chicken Soup. Not only is it a warming and comforting dish, but it also packs in a lot of flavor, thanks to the miso paste and shiitake mushrooms.
This recipe is inspired by my family’s traditional Japanese cooking. I remember watching my grandmother make her version of this soup over and over again. She would always start by sautéing the garlic and onions in a large pot, then adding the miso paste, shiitake mushrooms, and the chicken. The aroma that would fill the kitchen was heavenly!
My version of this soup has a few twists, such as the addition of carrots, celery, and zucchini. I also like to top it with some fresh herbs for an extra burst of flavor.
Whether you’re looking for a warming, comforting soup on a cold winter night, or a bowl of something light and refreshing on a hot summer day, this scrumptious Japanese Chicken Soup is sure to hit the spot!
Variations: You can also add other vegetables such as bell peppers, spinach, kale, or broccoli to this soup. You can also use chicken breasts or tofu instead of chicken thighs.
Tips: Make sure to simmer the soup for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together. You can also add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice at the end for an extra burst of flavor.
Scrumptious Japanese Chicken Soup
- Large pot, cutting board, knife, strainer
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 0.25 cup miso paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the miso paste and stir to combine. Add the chicken broth and shiitake mushrooms and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the carrots, celery, and zucchini. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with the fresh parsley and thyme and serve.