My father always said that the French know how to make a good grilled cheese sandwich. As a child, I would watch as he prepared our meals, his movements so precise and effortless in the kitchen. He would often make us French grilled cheese for lunch or dinner and serve it with a side of fresh tomatoes, lettuce, and onions. I always felt so special when he made this dish for us.
Fast forward to today, and I’m now the one making French grilled cheese for my loved ones. The same cheese, the same bread, the same ingredients – but with my own twist. I always like to add a sprinkle of herbs or spices to my sandwich for a little extra flavor. The combination of melted cheese, crunchy bread, and fragrant herbs is truly simply delicious!
Tip: For a richer flavor, use a higher-quality cheese such as Gruyère, brie, or Comté. You can also add a layer of thinly sliced vegetables such as tomatoes, lettuce, or onions.
Variations: For a crunchier texture, try adding a layer of crispy bacon or pan-fried mushrooms.
Simply Delicious French Grilled Cheese
- Skillet, spatula, cheese grater, cutting board
- 2 slices of French bread
- 2 slices of your favorite cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs of your choice (optional)
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread the butter onto each slice of French bread.
- Grate the cheese and sprinkle onto one slice of bread.
- Sprinkle the herbs on top of the cheese (optional).
- Place the other slice of bread on top of the cheese and herbs.
- Cook the sandwich in the skillet for 2-3 minutes, flipping once, until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Remove from the skillet and serve with a side of fresh vegetables.