Growing up in an Italian-American family, I was surrounded by delicious food. One of my favorite recipes was my nonna’s (grandmother’s) focaccia bread. It was always a hit at family gatherings and I was constantly asked to bring it along. I have vivid memories of watching my nonna prepare this bread in our kitchen and the wonderful aromas that filled the air.
I was determined to recreate this recipe and share it with my own family. After a lot of trial and error, I finally perfected it and now it’s a regular in my kitchen.
This focaccia bread is perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. The herbs and spices add a wonderful flavor and it makes the perfect snack or appetizer.
I’m excited to share this recipe with you and your family. I know it will become a favorite in your home just like it is in mine!
Tips and Variations:
- For a sweeter focaccia bread, add a tablespoon of honey or maple syrup to the mixture.
- For an extra savory flavor, add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the dough.
- If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, you can substitute with a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- You can also top the focaccia with olives, sun-dried tomatoes, or other toppings.
Simply Delicious Italian Focaccia Bread
- Mixing bowl, baking sheet, parchment paper, and measuring cups.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 0.25 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 0.5 teaspoon dried basil
- 0.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, garlic powder, basil, oregano, and baking powder. Mix until combined.
- Add olive oil and warm water to the mixture and stir until combined.
- Knead the dough until it forms a smooth ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Place the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- With your hands, press down on the dough to form indentations all over.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the focaccia cool before serving.