When I think of comfort food, I always go to my family’s Mediterranean Potato Soup. This recipe has been passed down for generations, and I can still remember my grandmother making it for me when I was a child. She would often add her secret ingredient – a pinch of cumin – which truly made the soup stand out. Whether I am feeling under the weather or just need a cozy meal, I always turn to this Mediterranean Potato Soup. It is full of flavor and so easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights.
This Mediterranean Potato Soup is a great way to experiment with a variety of vegetables. I like to use a mix of bell peppers, onion, garlic, and parsley. You can also add some kale, spinach, or even zucchini. Feel free to mix and match the vegetables in the soup to your taste. To make the soup heartier, I like to add some cooked quinoa or barley. You can also try adding some cooked lentils or chickpeas.
For some added flavor, I like to use a combination of vegetable broth and white wine in the soup. The combination of these two ingredients really makes the soup come alive. I also love to add some smoked paprika for a smoky flavor. Of course, adjusting the seasonings is key to any great soup. Taste the soup as it cooks and adjust the salt, pepper, and other seasonings as needed.
Whenever I make this Mediterranean Potato Soup, I always feel so comforted and happy. I love the warmth of the soup and the way it brings my family together. I can’t wait for you to try it and see what you think!
Tip 1: For a vegan version of this soup, substitute the vegetable broth with water or a vegan-friendly broth and omit the white wine.
Tip 2: For a spicy kick, add 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the soup.
Tip 3: To make the soup heartier, add cooked quinoa, barley, lentils, or chickpeas.
Tip 4: To make this soup gluten-free, use a gluten-free vegetable broth.
Tasty Mediterranean Potato Soup
- Pot, cutting board, knife, stirring spoon, soup ladle
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 0.5 cup white wine
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, white wine, potatoes, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the parsley and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve the soup hot.