My family loves Mexican food and I’m always looking for new and exciting recipes to share with them. I recently created this Authentic Cast Iron Skillet Mexican Appetizer that I know they’ll love. It’s full of vibrant flavors and can be served as an appetizer or a side dish.
I started by heating the cast iron skillet over medium heat. I added some olive oil, followed by an onion and bell pepper. I cooked the vegetables until they were softened and fragrant, then added garlic and spices. I cooked the mixture for a few more minutes, stirring to combine the flavors.
Next, I added some black beans, diced tomatoes, and corn. I stirred everything together and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Finally, I added some shredded cheese and cilantro to the skillet, stirred it all together, and let the cheese melt.
When it was done, my Authentic Cast Iron Skillet Mexican Appetizer was ready to serve. I could smell the delicious Mexican flavors and my family couldn’t wait to dig in. We enjoyed it with warm tortillas and a side of guacamole. It was a hit!
Add protein: For a heartier dish, add cooked ground beef or turkey to the skillet with the vegetables.
Add heat: For a spicier dish, add a diced jalapeno or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Make it vegan: Eliminate the cheese and use vegan-friendly cheese instead.
Authentic Cast Iron Skillet Mexican Appetizer
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, and corn. Stir to combine and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese and cilantro. Serve warm.