The first time I made this Creamy Potato Soup was during a chilly winter night. We had just gotten back from a long day of sledding with my family and were looking for a warm and comforting meal. I wanted to make something that everyone would enjoy and that was easy to make. So I decided to use the potatoes and carrots that were in the fridge, as well as some herbs and spices that I had on hand.
The result was a delicious and creamy soup that was perfect for warming us up after a cold and snowy day. I added a few tablespoons of butter and some cream to give it a rich and creamy texture. I also added some celery and herbs to give it a flavor boost.
This soup quickly became a family favorite and, to this day, it’s still one of my go-to recipes on cold winter nights. It’s easy to make, budget-friendly, and a great way to warm up and enjoy a delicious meal together. I hope you and your family enjoy it as much as we do!
Variations: You can add different vegetables like diced onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms to the soup. You can also add a cup of cooked chicken or bacon for added protein. If you don’t have vegetable broth on hand, you can substitute chicken or beef broth.
Tip: For a thicker soup, you can add a few tablespoons of cornstarch or flour to the soup before adding the cream.
Best Creamy Potato Soup
- Large pot, cutting board, knife, wooden spoon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the celery, potatoes, carrots, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder. Stir to combine and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the cream and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.