I love to experiment with new flavors and ingredients in the kitchen, so when Cinco de Mayo came around, I was excited for the opportunity to mix up dinner with a Best Mexican Street Corn Salad. I was inspired by the delicious flavors of Mexican street corn – a combination of sweet corn, tart lime, and smoky chili powder. I added some protein to the salad with black beans, and to add a bit of crunch I topped it off with a delicious mix of crunchy tortilla chips, creamy Cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
I love to make this salad for my family because it’s easy to prepare, and it’s the perfect way to bring the flavors of Mexico to our dinner table. I love to serve it with warm tortillas and a side of homemade guacamole. My family loves it so much they ask for it all the time!
- Make the salad ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together.
- For a spicier salad, add some extra jalapeños or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- For a vegan version, omit the Cotija cheese and use vegan tortilla chips.
- For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free tortilla chips.
Best Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Large bowl, medium bowl, whisk, measuring cups and spoons
- 2 cans corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 0.5 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 0.5 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- null Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tortilla chips, crumbled
- 1 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine the corn, black beans, red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Add the crumbled tortilla chips and Cotija cheese and toss gently.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.