Whenever I think about comfort food, Asian-style fried rice is always at the top of the list. Growing up, my mom would make it for dinner at least once a week and it was always a hit with my family.
I wanted to create an easy version of this classic dish that requires minimal ingredients and can be made in one pot. After a few experiments, I came up with the perfect one-pot Asian-style fried rice recipe.
This fried rice is a great way to use up leftover rice and any vegetables or proteins you have on hand. I like to use shrimp and a mix of frozen vegetables. I also like to add in scrambled eggs for a protein boost and some extra flavor.
I always make sure to season the fried rice with a few pantry staples like soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha. The combination of flavors is truly delicious and the fried rice is so versatile that you can customize it to your taste. Whether you make this for dinner or as a snack, it’s sure to be a hit!
Tips and Variations
- For a vegan version, replace the shrimp with tofu, tempeh, or your favorite plant-based protein.
- If you don’t have cooked rice on hand, you can cook the rice in the skillet with a bit of oil before adding the other ingredients.
- For more heat, add more sriracha sauce.
- For a protein boost, add in cooked chicken, pork, or beef.
- Feel free to swap out the frozen vegetables for any fresh vegetables you have on hand.
Best One-Pot Asian-Style Fried Rice
- Large skillet, bowl, measuring cups and spoons, spatula
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 0.5 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (carrot, peas, corn)
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, diced
- 3 cups cooked white rice (cold or at room temperature)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the frozen vegetables and shrimp and cook for another 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cooked rice and mix until everything is evenly combined. Push the rice to the sides of the skillet and add the eggs to the center. Scramble the eggs and mix into the rice.
- Add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, and sriracha sauce. Stir until everything is evenly combined and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with green onion and serve immediately.