I grew up in an Indian household and remember the smell of my mother’s homemade chicken curry wafting through the house. After years of practice, I’ve mastered the art of making a delicious Indian curry that is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. With a few simple ingredients, this comforting and flavorful dish can be made in no time at all!
My Indian chicken curry recipe is a combination of traditional Indian spices and herbs that give it a unique flavor. I start by sautéing onions and garlic in a large skillet, then add the chicken and cook until it’s nearly done. I then add a combination of bold spices and herbs, like coriander, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. To thicken the dish, I add a can of coconut milk and simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
My family loves this dish served over a bed of white rice and topped with a generous sprinkle of fresh cilantro. We also like to add a dollop of plain yogurt on top for a creamy and tangy flavor. My Indian chicken curry is sure to be an instant hit with your family and friends. Enjoy!
Tips: For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken with tofu or chickpeas. To make it spicier, add more garam masala or a pinch of red pepper flakes. For a creamier dish, add a spoonful of Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt.
Variations: For a more flavorful curry, consider adding a few tablespoons of tomato paste. You can also add some vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers, or carrots for more texture and flavor.
Delicious Indian Chicken Curry
- large skillet, wooden spoon, measuring cups and spoons, cutting board, chef’s knife, food processor or blender
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- null salt and pepper to taste
- 0.25 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook until it is nearly cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve over a bed of white rice.