When I think of comfort food, I always think of my grandmother’s Chinese Coconut Rice Pudding. It reminds me of my childhood, when I’d visit her in the summer and she’d make us this delightful treat. The creamy and sweet flavor of the pudding is the perfect way to end a meal or even enjoy as a snack. I’ve tried a few variations of this recipe, but this one is my favorite – it’s delicious, easy to make, and always a hit!
This Chinese Coconut Rice Pudding is made by simmering coconut milk, sugar, and rice in a pot until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy. I like to add a splash of vanilla to give it a flavor boost, then finish it off with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes. The result is a sweet and creamy pudding that’s perfect for sharing with family and friends. I usually serve it with a few slices of fresh pineapple and a sprig of mint for a truly delicious experience!
- If you don’t have white rice, you can also use jasmine or basmati rice.
- For a more intense coconut flavor, use coconut cream instead of coconut milk.
- For a richer flavor, add a few tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk to the recipe.
- For a vegan version, use maple syrup or agave nectar instead of sugar.
- For a dairy-free version, use almond or cashew milk instead of coconut milk.
Deliciously Easy Chinese Coconut Rice Pudding
- Large pot, wooden spoon, fine mesh strainer, medium bowl
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 0.25 cup toasted coconut flakes
- In a large pot, combine the rice, coconut milk, and sugar. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the mixture is creamy.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Divide the pudding into individual bowls and sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes. Serve immediately.