Growing up, I always looked forward to the week my family would make Indian Coconut Rice Pudding. It’s a classic recipe that my mom learned from her mother, and I love the way it tastes. It’s so sweet, creamy, and comforting – the perfect dessert to enjoy after a meal.
When I first started experimenting in the kitchen, I wanted to recreate this recipe. I started with the basics – a combination of cooked basmati rice, coconut cream, and sugar – but I wanted to find a way to make it even more delicious. After some trial and error, I found a few ingredients that really brought the flavor of the pudding to the next level – cardamom, nutmeg, and saffron.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you! I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!
Variations: For a vegan version, use maple syrup instead of white sugar and coconut milk instead of coconut cream.
Tips: To ensure the pudding is creamy and smooth, be sure to whisk the ingredients together well before cooking.
Expert Indian Coconut Rice Pudding
- Large pot, medium pot, wooden spoon, whisk, fine-mesh strainer
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 0.5 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch saffron
- 0.5 cup toasted coconut flakes (for garnish)
- In a large pot, whisk together the cooked basmati rice, coconut cream, and sugar until combined.
- Add the ground cardamom, nutmeg, and saffron and stir until evenly combined.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the pudding is thick and creamy, remove from the heat and let it cool.
- Serve the pudding in individual bowls, topped with toasted coconut flakes.