As a passionate food enthusiast, I’m always looking for new recipes to add to my blog. This family-favorite American Potato Salad recipe is a classic that I’ve been making since I was a kid. My mom used to make it for us on special occasions and it’s always been a hit with my family. I love the way the creamy dressing coats the potatoes and the crunch of the celery and eggs. It’s a perfect side dish for any meal.
I recently decided to make this classic potato salad for a picnic I was hosting. I had all the ingredients on hand and it only took me a few minutes to put it together. I boiled the potatoes until they were just tender, then I added the celery, eggs, and dressing. I stirred everything together until it was fully combined and then I let it chill in the refrigerator until it was time to serve.
When it was time to eat, I served the potato salad with a side of grilled chicken and a fresh green salad. Everyone loved it! The creamy dressing was a hit, and the celery and eggs added a nice crunch. It was the perfect dish to bring to a summer picnic, and I know I’ll be making it again and again.
Variation 1: For a creamier dressing, add an extra ¼ cup of mayonnaise or sour cream.
Variation 2: Add in ½ cup of diced cucumber for a refreshing twist.
Tip: For best results, chill the potato salad for at least 2 hours before serving.
Family-favorite American Potato Salad
- Large pot, large bowl, whisk, peeler, knife, large spoon, cutting board
- 4 cups red potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 hard boiled eggs, diced
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 0.25 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- null Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Add the potatoes, celery, and eggs to the bowl with the dressing, and stir until fully combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.