In my family, holidays always meant bringing everyone together around the table. We’d spend the day gathering in the kitchen, each of us taking part in making something special for the meal. This year I wanted to create something different, something that could be a memorable part of the tradition.
That’s when I thought of making French Spinach Galettes. I remembered having these delicate, savory pastries on a trip to France and knew that they would be the perfect addition to our holiday menu. But I wanted to put my own spin on them, so I experimented with different ingredients until I came up with the perfect combination of flavors.
The result was a golden-brown, flaky pastry filled with a delicious blend of spinach, feta, and ricotta cheese. The combination was so flavorful and satisfying that it quickly became a favorite in my family. Now, whenever we gather around the table for the holidays, there’s always a plate of French Spinach Galettes to enjoy.
For a vegan version, substitute the feta and ricotta cheeses with vegan alternatives. You can also add other ingredients to the filling such as olives, sun-dried tomatoes, or diced mushrooms.
For a gluten-free version, use gluten-free puff pastry. You can also use pre-made puff pastry shells to save time.
If you don’t have time to make the pastry, you can use pre-made puff pastry shells. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are perfect for making quick and easy galettes.
Festive French Spinach Galettes
- Baking Sheet, Non-Stick Cooking Spray, Egg, Basting Brush, Rolling Pin, Non-Stick Frying Pan
- 1 package puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 0.5 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 0.5 cup ricotta cheese
- 0.25 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Unroll puff pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into 4 equal squares.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooled spinach mixture, feta, ricotta, Parmesan, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Place 1/4 of the spinach mixture in the center of each puff pastry square. Fold the corners of each square in towards the center to form a galette and press the edges to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the top of the galettes with beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.