Growing up, my family’s kitchen was always filled with the smell of freshly cooked Mexican dishes. One of my favorite dishes was a breakfast hash made with potatoes, beans, peppers, and eggs. It was a delicious combination of flavors that was cooked in a cast iron skillet until the potatoes were perfectly crispy and the eggs were cooked to perfection. It was a dish that brought our family together and was the perfect start to the day.
Now that I’m living on my own, I still love to make this Mexican breakfast hash for myself. I find the process of cooking it in my cast iron skillet to be incredibly therapeutic and I enjoy experimenting with different variations of the dish. I add in different vegetables, seasonings, and herbs to give the dish a unique flavor and make it my own.
This recipe for Gourmet Cast Iron Skillet Mexican Breakfast Hash is my favorite version of this dish. I use a combination of potatoes, black beans, bell peppers, jalapeños, and eggs to create a flavorful and colorful dish. I also add in a few spices and herbs to give it an extra kick of flavor. I love to top it with a sprinkle of cotija cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It’s the perfect breakfast dish for any day of the week and is sure to bring a smile to your family’s faces.
Variations: For a vegetarian version, omit the eggs. For a vegan version, omit the eggs and replace the cheese and sour cream with vegan alternatives. You can also add in additional vegetables such as spinach or zucchini.
Gourmet Cast Iron Skillet Mexican Breakfast Hash
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 0.5 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon dried oregano
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 large eggs
- null Cotija cheese, for garnish
- null Sour cream, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and jalapeño, and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the black beans, reduce the heat to medium-low, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Create four wells in the skillet and crack the eggs into the wells. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your desired doneness.
- Serve the skillet breakfast hash with a sprinkle of cotija cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.