Growing up in Mexico, my family always made a special version of the classic grilled eggplant with feta and olives. This dish has always been a favorite of mine, and I love to recreate it with a gourmet twist!
I start by pre-heating my grill and slicing the eggplant into thick rounds. I brush the eggplant with olive oil and season it with salt and pepper. Then I place the eggplant slices on the hot grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through and lightly charred.
Once the eggplant is cooked, I transfer the slices to a baking dish. I then layer feta cheese, olives, lemon wedges, and parsley on top. I finish by drizzling the dish with more olive oil, and baking it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
This delicious dish is perfect for a weekend gathering or a weeknight dinner. Serve with a side salad or some crusty bread, and you have a delicious meal that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
For a vegan option: substitute the feta cheese with vegan cheese.
For a spicier dish: add a pinch of chili flakes to the olive oil before brushing onto the eggplant slices.
For a Mediterranean twist: add a tablespoon of capers to the dish before baking.
Gourmet Mexican Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Olives
- Grill, cutting board, knife, bowl, baking dish, mixing spoon, aluminum foil
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- 0.5 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 0.5 cup olives, sliced
- 2 lemon wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice the eggplant into 1-inch thick rounds.
- Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the eggplant slices for 3-4 minutes on each side, until cooked through and lightly charred.
- Transfer the eggplant slices to a baking dish.
- Top with feta cheese, olives, lemon wedges, and parsley.
- Drizzle with more olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!