My family loves when I make this Healthy Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup recipe. It’s a comforting and delicious soup that can be enjoyed all year round, and it’s also healthier than other cream-based soups. I first came up with this recipe when I was trying to come up with a way to use up some leftover potatoes and broccoli that we had in the fridge, and the end result was a creamy and flavorful soup that my family loves to eat.
I start by sautéing some onions and garlic in a large pot until they are fragrant and golden. Then, I add in the potatoes, broccoli, and some vegetable stock, and let it simmer until the potatoes and broccoli are tender. Once the vegetables are cooked, I blend the soup until it’s creamy and smooth. To finish off the soup, I add some cream and season it with salt and pepper.
My family loves to top the soup with some freshly grated cheese and some crunchy croutons for added flavor and texture. I also like to serve it with some crusty bread for dipping. This Healthy Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup is always a hit with my family, and I’m sure it will be a hit with yours too!
For a vegan version: use coconut cream instead of heavy cream, and replace the vegetable stock with vegetable broth.
For a gluten-free version: use gluten-free croutons or omit them altogether.
For a spicier version: add some red pepper flakes or a diced jalapeno pepper.
Healthy Creamy Broccoli and Potato Soup
- Large pot, cutting board, knife, blender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- null salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broccoli, and vegetable stock to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes and broccoli are tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and carefully transfer the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in the cream. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with grated cheese, croutons, and crusty bread, if desired.