Growing up in a big family, my mom was always looking for ways to make dinner quickly yet still nourish us. One of her go-to recipes was her homemade potato soup. Just one pot and a few simple ingredients and she could create a warm, comforting meal that the whole family would love. It’s been a family favorite ever since.
I still make this soup at least once a month, and I hope you’ll give it a try too! With just potatoes, cream, herbs, and a few other pantry staples, you can have a delicious, creamy soup on the table in no time. I love to top mine with croutons and extra herbs for a bit of crunch, but you can customize it however you like. Enjoy!
Variations: For a heartier soup, add cooked bacon or cooked sausage. You can also add grated cheese or sour cream to the soup for a cheesy potato soup. For a vegan option, substitute vegetable broth and vegan butter.
Tips: For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to blend the soup until desired consistency is reached.
Homemade Creamy Potato Soup
- Pot, spoon, cutting board, knife
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- null Chopped chives, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, thyme, and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, garnished with chives.