It’s no secret that I’m a bit of a chocoholic, so when I stumbled across a Mexican Chocolate Churro Pancake recipe, I knew I had to try it out. Growing up, my mom would make churros with cinnamon and sugar for special occasions, and the idea of making them into pancakes sounded so exciting! I set out to create my own version of this indulgent breakfast treat.
I started by gathering all my ingredients. I combined the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, I whisked together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter. Then I added the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisked until just combined. I poured the pancake batter onto a hot greased griddle and cooked for about two minutes on each side.
For the Mexican Chocolate Churro topping, I combined melted butter, cinnamon, and cocoa powder in a bowl and stirred until combined. I then drizzled it over the pancakes and topped with a sprinkle of sugar. The result was a delightful stack of fluffy Mexican Chocolate Churro Pancakes that were a hit with my family. It’s a great way to indulge while still getting in a balanced breakfast.
For a healthier version: Use whole wheat flour in place of all-purpose, and replace the sugar with honey or maple syrup.
For a sweeter version: Try adding 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips to the pancake batter.
For a savory version: Replace the cinnamon and cocoa powder with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
Indulgent Mexican Chocolate Churro Pancakes
- Large bowl, whisk, griddle or nonstick skillet, spatula
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, for topping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Heat a greased griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Pour the pancake batter onto the griddle in 1/4 cup portions.
- Cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the butter, cinnamon, and cocoa powder for the topping.
- Drizzle the topping over the pancakes and sprinkle with sugar.
- Serve warm and enjoy!