Grilled eggplant is one of my all-time favorite dishes. It’s savory, healthy, and packed full of flavor. The combination of feta cheese and olives gives it a Mediterranean flair that just can’t be beat. Plus, it’s one of the easiest dishes to make, and the end result looks impressive enough to serve at a dinner party!
I originally discovered this recipe when I was visiting my family in Greece. My grandmother was always cooking up something delicious, and this was one of her specialties. She would take the time to cut and prepare the eggplant, and then grill it to perfection. The feta cheese and olives provided just the right amount of saltiness and tanginess. I was hooked from the first bite!
After I returned home, I started experimenting with the recipe and making it my own. I added my favorite herbs and spices to give it an extra kick. I also swapped out the feta for goat cheese, which gives it a bit of a creamier texture. And of course, I couldn’t resist adding a touch of olive oil to the mix for extra flavor.
These days, I serve this recipe to my family on a regular basis. Everyone loves it, and it’s become a favorite for weekend barbecues and dinner parties. All you need is a few simple ingredients and a hot grill to make this savory dish come to life. Give it a try and your family won’t be disappointed!
Variations: For a vegan version of this dish, simply omit the feta cheese and replace it with vegan cheese. You can also use other types of cheese, such as goat cheese or ricotta. For a spicier version, add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
Tips: Make sure to slice the eggplant into thick slices so that it doesn’t get too soft when it’s grilled. If you’re using a charcoal grill, make sure the flames are low and the heat is evenly distributed. Also, make sure to brush the eggplant with olive oil before you put it on the grill to help it cook evenly.
Savory Grilled Eggplant with Feta and Olives
- Grill, large bowl, cutting board, knife
- 2 large eggplants
- 0.5 cup feta cheese
- 0.5 cup olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 0.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- Slice the eggplants into 1-inch thick slices and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the eggplant slices and sprinkle with garlic, oregano, black pepper, and salt. Mix until the slices are evenly coated.
- Preheat the grill over medium-high heat and place the eggplant slices on the grill. Grill for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until the eggplant is tender and lightly charred.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the grill and place on a serving plate. Top with feta cheese and olives.
- Serve warm.