I’m always on the hunt for a new go-to breakfast dish that I can make on Sunday nights and have ready to go for the week. This Savory Italian Breakfast Casserole has become my new favorite, and I’m sure it will become a favorite in your home too!
As a child, I remember my grandmother making this dish for Sunday breakfast. She would get up early and prepare the casserole the night before, so all we had to do in the morning was pop it in the oven. I was always so excited to wake up to the aroma of sausage, potatoes, and melted cheese. Even now, when I make this casserole for my family, it brings back those fond memories.
The best part about this Savory Italian Breakfast Casserole is how quick and easy it is to make. All you need is a few simple ingredients, and you can have a delicious meal on the table in less than an hour. And since it’s made with eggs, potatoes, and sausage, it’s sure to keep everyone full and energized throughout the day.
So the next time you’re looking for an easy and delicious breakfast dish to make for your family, give this Savory Italian Breakfast Casserole a try. I promise it won’t disappoint!
- For an extra-savory casserole, try swapping the Italian sausage for chorizo or adding some extra cheese.
- To save time in the morning, you can prepare the casserole the night before and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
- For a vegetarian version, try adding some extra vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini and swap the sausage for tofu.
Savory Italian Breakfast Casserole
- Large Skillet, 9×13 Baking Dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups diced potatoes
- 10 large eggs
- 0.5 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook until golden and tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and parsley.
- In a 9×13 baking dish, spread the sausage mixture in an even layer. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and top with the cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden and the eggs are cooked through.