I have a recipe I’ve been making for years that I like to call my family’s secret skillet soup. It’s a hearty dish that I’ve been making for my family for many years, and I’m sure it will become a favorite in your home, too. It all started when my grandmother taught me how to make it when I was a little girl. She would always use a cast iron skillet, and I’ve kept that tradition ever since. The recipe has evolved over the years, but the heart and soul of it remains the same.
This soup is incredibly easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients. I like to use a variety of vegetables, as well as some white beans for added protein. I also like to use a good quality stock, as it really helps to bring out the flavor of the soup. Once everything is cooked, I season it with a few spices and some freshly squeezed lemon juice. The result is a flavorful and comforting soup that’s perfect for any occasion.
This soup is so versatile and can be customized to your own taste. You can add some shredded chicken or turkey for added protein, or switch out the vegetables for whatever you have on hand. The possibilities are endless! I love to serve it with a side of crusty bread and a big salad for a delicious, satisfying meal.
- For a different flavor, try adding a pinch of red pepper flakes or a splash of white wine.
- For added protein, try adding some cooked chicken or turkey.
- If you don’t have white beans, you can substitute with black beans, chickpeas, or lentils.
- For a different twist, try adding some cooked quinoa or brown rice.
Secret Family Skillet Soup
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the white beans, vegetable stock, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed. Serve hot.