There’s nothing quite like the smell of grilled eggplant wafting through the warm summer air. My family loves to grill out and try new recipes, and this secret garden grilled eggplant dish is always a hit! It’s full of flavor, gluten-free and vegan-friendly, and so easy to make. Plus, it’s a great way to use up all those summer veggies!
I like to start by prepping the eggplant. I cut it into thick slices, sprinkle it with a little olive oil, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This helps to ensure the eggplant cooks all the way through and doesn’t get too dry.
Next, I build the secret garden. I use a variety of colorful vegetables, including bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and red onions. I also like to add some fresh herbs, like basil and oregano, to give the dish an extra layer of flavor.
Once the vegetables are prepped, I layer them on top of the eggplant slices and wrap them up in foil. Then, I place the packages on the grill and let them cook for about 10 minutes.
When the eggplant is finished grilling, I like to serve it with a sprinkle of feta cheese and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. The result is an incredible secret garden grilled eggplant dish that everyone in my family loves!
Variations: Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand, such as zucchini, mushrooms, or squash. You can also add cooked grains, such as quinoa or rice, to make the dish more filling.
Tips: Make sure to use thick slices of eggplant so it doesn’t overcook on the grill. Also, be sure to preheat the grill before adding the foil packages so that they cook evenly.
Secret Garden Grilled Eggplant
- Grill, cutting board, knife, bowl, aluminum foil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 0.5 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 0.25 cup red onion, diced
- 0.25 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 0.25 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- null Salt and pepper, to taste
- null Feta cheese, for garnish
- null Balsamic glaze, for garnish
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine bell peppers, tomatoes, red onion, basil, and oregano. Mix until vegetables are evenly distributed.
- Lay the eggplant slices on a large piece of aluminum foil and top with the vegetables. Fold the foil up to make a package.
- Place the foil packets on the grill and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully open up the foil packets and garnish with feta cheese and balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.