It all started when I was just a kid. My mom used to make the best mac and cheese for us on special occasions. It was creamy and cheesy, and so comforting that I’d always ask for seconds! Over the years, I’ve experimented with different ingredients and techniques to perfect her recipe. And now, I’m proud to say that I’ve created an even better version of my mom’s classic mac and cheese.
This top one-pot cheesy mac and cheese is the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s easy to make, requiring just one pot and a handful of ingredients. The key to this delicious dish is the combination of sharp and creamy cheeses, which give it that unforgettable flavor. And with the addition of crunchy panko breadcrumbs, it’s even more delicious!
So, why not give my top one-pot cheesy mac and cheese a try? I promise you won’t regret it!
Tip 1: If you like your mac and cheese extra creamy, you can add an extra 1/2 cup of milk.
Tip 2: For an even cheesier mac and cheese, add 1/2 cup of grated Gruyere cheese.
Variation 1: For a spicy mac and cheese, add 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Variation 2: For a smoky mac and cheese, add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
Top One-Pot Cheesy Mac and Cheese
- Medium saucepan, whisk, wooden spoon, and cheese grater
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
- 0.5 teaspoon onion powder
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 0.5 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 0.5 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 0.5 cup panko breadcrumbs
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and salt. Stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses and stir until melted and combined, about 5 minutes.
- Add the elbow macaroni and stir until combined. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the panko breadcrumbs. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot and enjoy!