My family loves Mexican food, so when I was looking for a quick and easy recipe to make for dinner, I knew I had to make something Mexican. I decided to make a delicious Mexican Potato Soup, and I’m so glad I did!
This soup is so flavorful, with a hint of spiciness from the jalapenos. I love the combination of potatoes, cheese, and spices. It’s a comforting and hearty soup that my family loves. I usually serve it with a side of tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream.
The best part is, it only takes 35 minutes to make! I usually start by prepping the ingredients, so all I have to do is throw everything into a pot and let it simmer.
If you love Mexican food, you’ll love this Mexican Potato Soup. It’s a great way to enjoy the flavors of Mexico, and it’s so easy to make. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!
For a spicier soup: add an additional jalapeno, or add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
For a creamier soup: add 1/2 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk.
For a vegan version: use vegetable broth, replace the cheese with vegan cheese, and omit the sour cream.
Top Quick and Easy Mexican Potato Soup
- Large pot, knife, cutting board, spoon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.5 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey jack, or Mexican blend)
- 0.25 cup sour cream (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the cheese, sour cream, and cilantro and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm, with extra cheese, sour cream, and cilantro, if desired.