I remember my mom making omelets for us for breakfast on Sunday mornings. Growing up, I would help her chop the vegetables and whisk the eggs. Now that I’m older, I’m in charge of making the omelets. I still use the same recipe she did, but I like to experiment and add my own twist by adding different herbs and vegetables. This French omelet is my favorite recipe. It’s fluffy and filled with fresh vegetables, herbs, and cheese. It’s perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
This recipe is a great way to use up whatever vegetables you have on hand. I like to use bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. You can also add herbs such as thyme or rosemary for extra flavor. Cheese is always a must for me, so I usually use a combination of mozzarella and parmesan. The result is a delicious and flavorful omelet that is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
Tip: For a vegetarian omelet, omit the cheese and add more vegetables.
Variation: Add cooked bacon, ham, or sausage for a heartier omelet.
Ultimate French Breakfast Omelet
- 10-inch nonstick skillet, spatula, and mixing bowl
- 4 eggs
- 0.25 cup milk
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 0.25 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 0.25 cup bell pepper, diced
- 0.25 cup onion, diced
- 0.25 cup mushrooms, diced
- 0.25 cup tomatoes, diced
- 0.25 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 0.25 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 0.25 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, basil, etc.), chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, or until the bottom is lightly golden. Sprinkle cheese and herbs over the omelet. Using a spatula, lift up the edges of the omelet and tilt the pan to let uncooked egg mixture flow underneath. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the omelet is lightly golden.
- Gently flip the omelet and cook for 1 minute, or until the omelet is cooked through.
- Slide the omelet onto a plate and enjoy!